Canada

PQ won’t hold sovereignty referendum ‘while Donald Trump is president’

Published: 

Parti Quebecois Leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon speaks during a news conference marking the end of session at the legislature in Quebec City, Friday, June 12, 2026. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press)

Parti Québécois (PQ) Leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party won’t hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty ”while Donald Trump is president."

The 49-year-old took to social media early Tuesday morning to make the statement.

“I have chosen to completely defuse the argument that this would be the worst possible time to reflect on our future because of Trump, by ruling out the possibility of holding a referendum before the end of his second term,” said St-Pierre Plamondon. “That means we will be able to run a campaign based on our proposals to help Quebecers and revitalize our future, rather than on repetitive and fruitless fear-mongering.”

He went on to explain that “this means a Parti Québécois government will not hold a referendum before Jan. 20, 2029, the date on which Trump’s term in the White House ends.”

Theoretically, after the election this fall, the following provincial campaign would be scheduled to take place in 2030, if not called earlier by the government.

The party leader stated that “an issue as critical as the political future of Quebec” requires an “informed and calm debate.”

“It must not be hijacked by the upheavals of American politics, nor by the outbursts of an unpredictable president, nor by fear-mongering campaigns,” he argued. “This unpredictability of the U.S. administration will undermine our process, as well as the quality of the debate on our future as a nation.”

PQ taking credit for Ottawa's $10B deal with Quebec Soon after PM Mark Carney announced $10B in infrastructure funds for Quebec, the PQ said it's all thanks to them that the province is getting the money.

St-Pierre Plamondon noted that if the PQ is elected, the party will continue to consult Quebecers on the topic of independence during its first term.

“I have always been clear and consistent on the fact that one day, Quebecers will decide for themselves, and that day is drawing nearer,” he said. “I believe that independence is the only way for Quebec to realize its full potential and escape the cultural, linguistic and financial decline which, if we remain part of Canada, is already underway.”

While reiterating the party’s priorities - including homelessness, the rising cost of living and the housing crisis - St-Pierre Plamondon took a moment to take a jab at the Coalition Avenir Québec (CAQ), lamenting that any government that comes to power will have to “pick up the pieces” and “have more than enough challenges and tasks to tackle right from the start of its term.”

“The challenges are numerous and colossal,” he insisted. “There is a lot of work to be done.”

PQ leader makes pre-election pitch to English-speaking Quebecers before ‘pivotal’ vote Anglos have a place within the PQ, the party that will solve Quebec’s 'decline' for the benefit of English- and French-speakers, Paul St. Pierre Plamondon says.

Leading in the polls

St-Pierre Plamondon’s announcement comes as recent data show support for a Quebec referendum on sovereignty remains low.

A Leger/Le Journal/TVA poll earlier this month found that support for sovereignty currently stands at 31 per cent, with 69 per cent of respondents saying they would vote “No” - that is, 85 per cent among non-francophones and 64 per cent of francophones.

All the same, the separatist party is maintaining its lead in polls, with the PQ holding 30 per cent support in voting intentions.

The party continues to have strong support with francophone voters (36 per cent), though its rise in the polls has stalled in the last few months.

According to the poll, the Quebec Liberal Party (PLQ) is in second place at 24 per cent support, followed by the Coalition Avenir Québec (CAQ) at 20 per cent, the Quebec Conservative Party (PCQ) at 13 per cent and Québec solidaire (QS) at 11 per cent.

St-Pierre Plamondon had previously vowed to hold a third referendum within his first mandate if his party forms a government after the Oct. 5 election.